Dark Slope Inc. seeks an Accountant to join their team in a multi-faceted Finance & Accounting role reporting to the SVP Finance & Administration. We are a fast-growing, venture-backed company currently at 80 staff members. This role will be a great vehicle for the right candidate to accelerate their learning and to grow with us while wearing many hats. As well as playing a key part in the Financial Management of the business, this is also a great opportunity to add value to a business, working closely with operations colleagues as they seek to profitably harness growth opportunities.
Dark Slope has two subsidiaries you will be working closely with – Dark Slope Studios, an entertainment company, and Lumeto, a learning & development company. While many of the tasks and duties associated with the role are typical of what one would see in the Finance function in any industry, others are more specific to the sectors in which we operate. Experience in either or both environments would be advantageous. You are encouraged to highlight your fit for this role in a brief cover letter.
This is a permanent position with remote and work from home options available at least until we can safely work in the Toronto office.
General Accounting (Lumeto & Dark Slope Studios)
- Management of full-cycle accounting – working closely with our external bookkeeping firm – preparing month end and quarterly Financial Statements with comparison to Budget
- Preparation of journal entries for revenue recognition, deferred revenue, and accruals
- Management of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll (outsourced)
- Assisting the SVP in preparing monthly and quarterly reports for Management and Key Stakeholders
- Treasury Management – monitoring and forecasting cash position
- Budgeting and reforecasting – assisting in the annual Budget process and in periodic updating of rolling reforecasts
- Assisting Senior Management in preparing for presentations to potential investors
- Liaising with external auditors
Production Accounting (Dark Slope Studios)
- Oversight of the work of our outsourced bookkeeping firm, ensuring accurate coding of invoices and employee time, by projects
- Preparation of internal cost reports for various productions and providing useful and timely information to Production Managers, partnering with them in the oversight of cost management
- Preparation of costs reports for review by external accountants upon completion of a Production and liaising with them during their review
- Assisting Business Affairs and Operations teams in submitting applications and reports to Funding Agencies and for Tax Credit filings
- Reporting to Canada Media Fund and other partners on Distribution revenue earned on completed projects
- CPA or CPA candidate, with solid experience to date in many of the tasks listed above
- Previous experience in a TV/Film/Animation studio or tech startup in a similar role
- Strong attention to detail, strong organization skills, and a commitment to ‘doing things right’
- Excellent problem solving aptitude and willingness to learn, comfortable in the sometimes-hectic pace of a fast growing start-up
Useful Skills & Experience
- Experience of dealing with Funding bodies such as CMF and Ontario Creates
- Tech savvy, with an interest in, or curiosity for Virtual Reality applications in both Entertainment and Learning settings
Dark Slope Studios: Dark Slope Studios is a metaverse company pushing the boundaries of virtual production, animation, and immersive experience design. The company is dedicated to creativity and innovation, utilizing game engine technology to deliver the next generation of immersive multi-user entertainment experiences to global audiences. Our growing team of 40+ people work together creating content for Nickelodeon, MTV, Warner Media, NBC Universal, and TVOntario amongst others. Visit www.darkslopestudios.com for more information.
Lumeto: Lumeto Inc. is an immersive learning platform business. Formed by a team of technology and content veterans passionate about the possibilities of spatial computing, Lumeto leverages Involve XR, its spatial learning platform, to drive a new wave of remote simulation training, assessment and team collaboration in the health and safety sectors. Visit www.lumeto.com for more information.
What We Offer
We offer the opportunity to work on incredible projects with great people, break out of corporate bureaucracy and take on leadership opportunities. Our employees have a voice in our work to revolutionize the workplace and consumer entertainment with spatial technologies.
Our core values support teamwork and transparency that allow us to create more together than we could alone. Through ongoing learning and self managing initiative we seek to improve our skill sets, find better ways of working and ultimately deliver creative experiences that make our customers say ‘wow’!
- Find Learning
- Design for Wow
- Work for Teamwork
- Take Initiative
- Interact with Transparency
We are an employer who values diversity and inclusion. We welcome different perspectives that come from lived experiences. Interacting with transparency is important to us in every aspect of our work. We strive for an open, honest, and effective workplace because trust is the foundation of our company. We are open to thinking differently, accommodating your needs to succeed, and straying from the conventional.