Toronto, ON (Remote in Canada)
Dark Slope is seeking freelance Games Concept Artists to work with us on an upcoming project, a mystical environmental exploration title for Oculus Quest 2.
Leveraging a creative brief provided by our production team, the Concept Artists will work to create visual assets to direct our art teams. The ideal candidate has previous experience creating concept art for games, from rough sketches through the ideation and development process, and top-notch foundational art skills. We are hunting for one concept artist with experience creating thrilling game environments, and one who has experience creating unique game characters.
The concept artists will work on a freelance basis, ranging from 1-2 months. The position has remote and work from home options available.
- Develop the visual direction and theme of the project and outline visual targets for the team to follow through concept art, quick sketches and illustrations, outlining visual targets for the team to follow
- Create high-end concept art for game environments, characters, props, etc. to various levels of polish
- Accept and incorporate feedback through various stages of production, providing tangible results with each iteration
- Provide direction to team members and participate with the production team to stay current on the scope and understanding of the project
- Expertly prioritize and manage time to meet deadlines and workflow requirements
- 2+ years of experience as a games concept artist, specializing in environments or characters
- Advanced experience in illustration software (ex. Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign)
- Strong foundational art skills: Anatomy, Lighting and Form, Composition, Perspective, Architecture
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in an environment with diverse personalities and work styles, including previous experience working with clients
- Capable of working as a part of a team and independently
- Legal authorization to work in Canada and located in Canada
Useful Skills & Experience
- Post-secondary degree, diploma (or equivalent experience) in graphic design, illustration or related disciplines
- Familiarity with and understanding of Unreal Engine
- Experience in 3D and VR for production workflow
Reporting to: Producer/Product Owner
Dark Slope Studios is a Toronto based, real time content studio pushing the boundaries of virtual production, Broadcast Animation, and XR Gaming. Dark Slope is dedicated to creativity and innovation, utilizing game engine technology to deliver the next generation of immersive multi-user entertainment experiences to global audiences. Our growing team of 25 people work together creating content for Nickelodeon, MTV, Warner Media, NBC Universal, and TVOntario amongst others. Past games include ‘Scarygirl:Mission Maybee’ VR LBE free roam VR experience for Zero Latency and the ‘Slugterra’ Multiplayer Hero Shooter for Hologate Arena. We are now looking to build our growing team to help us create our next batch of exciting new VR titles!
What We Offer
Appetite for adventure? Bored of bureaucracy? Rearing for responsibility?
If this speaks to you, Dark Slope is the place for you. We offer the opportunity to work on incredible projects with great people, break out of corporate bureaucracy and take on leadership opportunities. Our employees have a voice in our work to revolutionize the workplace and consumer entertainment with spatial technologies.
Where We Work
We work together in a new 8000 sq. ft studio in Toronto featuring a state of the art motion capture facility, located just minutes away from both Dundas West and Lansdowne Subway Stations, off the main road, our staff love our hidden XR and Virtual Production paradise.
Our core values support teamwork and transparency that allow us to create more together than we could alone. Through ongoing learning and self managing initiative we seek to improve our skill sets, find better ways of working and ultimately deliver creative experiences that make our customers say ‘wow’!
- Find Learning
- Design for Wow
- Work for Teamwork
- Take Initiative
- Interact with Transparency
We are an employer who values diversity and inclusion. We welcome different perspectives that come from lived experiences. Interacting with transparency is important to us in every aspect of our work. We strive for an open, honest, and effective workplace because trust is the foundation of our company. We are open to thinking differently, accommodating your needs to succeed, and straying from the conventional.
Applications can be sent to email@example.com.