This is a full-time position with remote and work from home options available. Applications can be sent to: email@example.com.
We’re looking for someone with experience leading a team of developers, setting standards, creating estimates and establishing realistic scope, with experience working on commercially shipped games, who is self-directed and excels at collaborating across disciplines. The ideal candidate will have a passion for building compelling XR games & experiences.
With your experience building games with the Unreal Engine, you’ll champion excellence in Unreal Engine 4 development and best practices on the team.
- Lead a programming team to develop new technologies and game systems
- Build and mentor a world-class programming team
- Strike a balance between coding, supporting team members, and management tasks
- Help establish clear coding best practices and lead regular code reviews
- Ensure the creation of strong technical documentation
- Develop systems to support the functionality of games and ensure their integration (engine, gameplay, AI, sound, animation, FX etc.)
- Collaborate with designers and artists to implement and refine gameplay features
- Collaborate with producers to anticipate, identify and articulate technical and developmental risks and obstacles, and generate solutions
- Participate in all project phases, from concept to maintenance
- Ensure timely and high-quality modular software development, including code reviews and testing
- Independently implement complex components of interactive applications
- Advise less experienced developers regarding their implementation approaches
- 5-10 years game development experience with 2 or more commercial launches
- 5+ years of C++ development in the Unreal Engine
- 1+ years of experience as a Sr or Lead Programmer
- Good understanding of gameplay technologies with the ability to apply technical knowledge in various areas such as mathematics, physics, animation,AI to implement performance aware gameplay features
- Ability to work in an iterative environment with game designers and producers to quickly deliver gameplay feature prototypes
- A keen eye on modular maintainable code and smart approaches for system architectures
- Thorough understanding of UE4 architecture and prefered workflows
- Ability to write clear, maintainable and optimized code
- Demonstrated extensive proficiency in and knowledge of object-oriented programming in C++
- Experience with development of client server multiplayer games
- Perforce version control and code review processes
- Experience with agile frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban
- Multiplayer networking in UE4
- Experience with GPU / CPU optimization techniques and approaches
Useful Skills & Experience
- Build server and Swarm pipeline setup
- Continuous Integration
- UE4 Niagara & Cascade Particle System
- UE4 Chaos Destruction System
- UE4 Ability System
- UE4 Control Rig
- VR 3 point avatars
- Behaviour Trees
- 5+ Years of Other Game Engine Development (eg Unity or proprietary)
- ARKit & ARCore
- Oculus, SteamVR, Playstation VR, Windows Mixed Reality, HoloLens, MagicLeap
Dark Slope Studios is a Toronto based, real time content studio pushing the boundaries of virtual production. Dark Slope is dedicated to creativity and innovation, utilizing game engine technology to deliver the next generation of immersive multi-user entertainment experiences to global audiences. Past games include ‘Scarygirl:Mission Maybee’ VR LBE free roam VR experience for Zero Latency and the ‘Slugterra’ Multiplayer Hero Shooter for Hologate Arena. We are now looking to build our growing team of passionate, collaborative game developers to help us create our next batch of exciting new VR titles!
Where We Work
Our growing team of 30 people work together in a new 8000 sq. ft studio in the Junction area of Toronto featuring a state of the art motion capture facility, located just minutes away from both Dundas West and Lansdowne Subway Stations, off the main road.
Our core values support teamwork and transparency that allow us to create more together than we could alone. Through ongoing learning and self managing initiative we seek to improve our skill sets, find better ways of working and ultimately deliver creative experiences that make our customers say wow!
- Find Learning
- Design for Wow
- Work for Teamwork
- Take Initiative
- Interact with Transparency
We are an employer who values diversity and inclusion. We welcome different perspectives that come from lived experiences. Interacting with transparency is important to us in every aspect of our work. We strive for an open, honest, and effective workplace because trust is the foundation of our company. We are open to thinking differently, accommodating your needs to succeed, and straying from the conventional.