We’re looking for a technical animator to join our team in September 2021, supporting 2 major projects by acting as the bridge between our linear animation team and game developers. This role is the perfect balance of creativity and technical capability, and has the strategic importance of stimulating workflow and advocating for the end goal. The ideal candidate will hold previous game engine animation experience, preferably using Unreal Engine.
This is a full-time position with remote and work from home options available until we can return to the office.
- Be the bridge between our animation team and Unreal Engine render pipeline to develop, integrate, test, and maintain animation assets in engine
- Understand the game engine and work with technical art team to diagnose software problems to work more effectively
- Provide support to the animation team, working out how the animation tools and game engine can be leveraged together to improve quality and turnaround time.
- Ensure compliance of animation features within technical, aesthetic, and gameplay constraints
- Automate traditional animation workflows using game engine tools, improving organizational processes to streamline production workflow
- Help lead the development of a real-time production pipeline taking advantage of the tools provided in Unreal Engine and supporting the R&D team in custom tool development
- Complete other projects/tasks as required
- 5+ years of game engine animation experience, preferably using Unreal Engine
- Strong practical understanding of animation logic (ex. node graphs, animation trees), particle physics, and C++ programming/coding experience or UE4 Blueprints.
- Ability to work flexibly and adapt to change in non-traditional workflows and with tight deadlines
- Strong problem solving skills
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, with the capability to explain work clearly and concisely to stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively in a rapid innovation environment with diverse personalities and work styles, accepting and giving feedback
- Legal authorization to work in Canada and located in Ontario
Useful Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of Maya & Motionbuilder preferred
- Knowledge of Houdini an asset
- Past experience on 3D action-focused games
- Understanding of the limitations of VR
- Strong character animation skills and understanding of rigging, skinning for motion capture
- College Degree or Bachelor’s degree, in any of the following: Games, Animation, Film, VFX, or similar
Dark Slope Studios is a Toronto based, real time content studio pushing the boundaries of virtual production. Dark Slope is dedicated to creativity and innovation, utilizing game engine technology to deliver the next generation of immersive multi-user entertainment experiences to global audiences. Past games include ‘Scarygirl:Mission Maybee’ VR LBE free roam VR experience for Zero Latency and the ‘Slugterra’ Multiplayer Hero Shooter for Hologate Arena. We are now looking to build our growing team to help us create our next batch of exciting new VR titles!
Where We Work
While we are currently operating from home, we look forward to returning to our 8,000 square feet newly renovated motion capture stage and office facility in the Junction district, when the time is right. We are located just minutes away from both Dundas West and Lansdowne Subway Stations, off the main road.
Our core values support teamwork and transparency that allow us to create more together than we could alone. Through ongoing learning and self managing initiative we seek to improve our skill sets, find better ways of working and ultimately deliver creative experiences that make our customers say wow!
- Find Learning
- Design for Wow
- Work for Teamwork
- Take Initiative
- Interact with Transparency
We are an employer who values diversity and inclusion. We welcome different perspectives that come from lived experiences. Interacting with transparency is important to us in every aspect of our work. We strive for an open, honest, and effective workplace because trust is the foundation of our company. We are open to thinking differently, accommodating your needs to succeed, and straying from the conventional.
Applications can be sent to email@example.com.